**Warning this post contains some rude language**
If you are a regular reader of my blog you will know that one of my favourite things to do is socialise with friends! As I don’t like leaving Freddie at night (he is 8 and of course doesn’t care, but I prefer to be with him!) we tend to socialise a lot at home.
We are very lucky to have found some great friends who are Freddie’s friends parents and we often get together. With us generally in the kitchen and the kids wrecking the house!!
So here are my top tips for a great night in with friends:
- Make sure if you are not planning on cooking to get plenty of nibbles in. We often get together after the kids have had rugby training on a Friday night, so we have normally eaten. Our favourites are olives, wasabi peas, nuts, maltesers, antipasti oh and some cheese (normally manchego – as we all love it!)
- Probably the most important, well for us anyway is to get in plenty of wine and gin, and of course not forgetting the tonic and at the minute our favourite to add to gin is grapefruit. You could serve a ready made cocktail so you are not playing barman all night!
- Another important thing for us as there are normally 3-5 kids (all over the age of 8 though) make sure the kids have got plenty of snacks and have plenty of games to play. Or in the summer make sure they play out on the trampoline.
- Play a game! Just so you know I am 40 and my husband is 50, so I don’t mean a kids game. I mean an adults game such as Shit Happens!
- On a side note, make sure the kids are in a different room while playing the game. As this is definitely one for the adults!
Shit Happens Game Review
As the name suggests this is a game all about, shit happens! We all face scenarios like this, and in the game you have to rank how shit the card is, compared to your other cards.
Each card has a misery index. These were ranked from a “serious” panel of professionals, from marriage counsellors, therapists, career counsellors and social workers, collectively representing over 150 years of clinical psychiatric experience.
Each player is handed 3 cards that are placed face up on the table, which you have to rank in order of misery, with 1 being the least shit.
The player then reads out the next card, but omits the misery number and you have to guess where in the shit rankings does this card fit. If you guess the correct place in your existing deck you win the card and add it to you “lane of pain”.
So what do some of the cards say?
Kicked in the nuts by a kangaroo! Well this is ranked 46 out of 100 so you can imagine what some of the shittiest cards say!!! For example a misery index 79 would be teenage daughter is pregnant, yeah I think we can all agree that would be a worse scenario!
So what did we think? Well there were only 4 of us playing with an average age of 45 and we certainly enjoyed it. We did feel however, that the rankings might have been aimed at younger adults, rather than us oldies. But we really did enjoy it as you can see from the photos!
Important to note, that if you leave the game on the side in the kitchen over night, you might have some serious explaining to do by your child in the morning! Oops!
You can buy this from Amazon for only £12.97
** Please note we were gifted Shit Happens in return for an honest review **