When you’re a parent, your appearance is usually a low priority. Most of your efforts are focused on your child, and making sure they have everything they need for the day – in fact, it’s about as much as you can do to get in the shower and quickly slap some make-up on!
However, there will be times when you want to feel special. If you’re going out on a date with your partner or heading out with your friends, it’s nice to feel ultra-confident about your appearance. With that in mind, here are some simple ideas to take your look to next-level gorgeousness.
Look amazing, the easy way!
- Get a friend to do your hair. If you’ve got any talented friends who love creating stunning up-dos, now is the time to call in that favour. Even a simple high ponytail can do wonders for showing off your cheekbones and making you feel ‘dressed up’.
- Vary your make-up. Rather than wearing the same cosmetics you wear every day, choose something a bit more dramatic. For example, a dash of bronzer and a sun-kissed eyeshadow palette will make you look as though you’ve just returned from holiday. Alternatively, a smoky eyeliner and nude lipstick is very alluring; ideal for building self-confidence! If you’d rather go make-up free though, that’s cool. You do what works best for you.
- Wear some special jewellery. You know that amazing necklace you’ve got in the drawer, that you literally never get the chance to wear because your children used to tug on it when they were younger? Now’s the time to put it on. Ditto those statement rings, bangles and anklets; they’ll help to make the evening feel more like an occasion.
- Paint your nails. If you’re the artistic type, some decorated finger and toe-nails can really elevate your entire look. Even a simple block colour can serve to set off your outfit; such as a sultry dark crimson or a lively, sparkly blue. If you want the designer vibe the easy way, search for nail-art stickers. They take seconds to apply and look fantastic.
- Get on your dancing shoes! Even if you’re not going to go dancing, wearing a pair of smart shoes can really put you in a party mood. A pair of strappy heels add immediate glamour to even casual outfits, or if you’d rather go for a flat shoe, a patent pump can work wonders. However, make sure you can walk in them. The last thing you want is to fall flat on your face and end up at the hospital.
- Set the scene as you’re getting ready. If possible, ask your partner to entertain the kids while you get ready. Luxuriate in a bath beforehand (preferably with some perfumed candles to create a spa-like atmosphere), then when you’re out, put on some music that makes you feel uplifted and happy. A glass of wine may also help to get you in the right frame of mind!
- Tell yourself you look great. Here’s where a positive mind-set comes in. Rather than focusing on the bits of your body you’re not so keen on, zone in on the parts you love. Not so keen on those love-handles? That doesn’t matter – tonight, it’s all about your amazing legs and gorgeous eyes! Remember, any negativity about your appearance is not allowed right now – you look fabulous.
- Get him to groom too (if he’s coming!). If you’re going out with your husband, make sure he gets in on the action too; you don’t want to be looking amazing while he’s wearing his comfy jumper and jeans! At the very least, some basic male grooming should help, and a smart shirt wouldn’t go amiss either.
This is a collaborative post.