I absolutely love this time of year. The leaves are starting to go a lovely orange colour, the nights are drawing in and the vegetables are just amazing. We popped to Aldi at the weekend and managed to get in their super 6 4 different squashes for only 39p each! Check out my easy autumnal squash and chicken tray bake recipe.
We managed to find a butternut squash, a turban squash, a muscat squash, and a carnival squash (if I have got these wrong please let me know in the comments!!). They almost looked to nice to eat!
How to Prepare Autumnal Squash
The only squash I had actually ever cooked before was the butternut squash which we normally have chipped and served as an alternative to oven chips. So I had absolutely no idea how to cook them or in fact what they would look like inside.
Word of warning, they are so hard to actually cut open. I did manage but I had to use a lot of force and a very sharp knife.
The butternut squash definitely had the most flesh and the turban squash (the smallest pictured) definitely had the least and I realised it would take much less cooking.
As I wanted to actually taste the different varieties of squash I opted for a simple Squash and Chicken Tray Bake.
Ingredients for Squash and Chicken Tray Bake
Variety of Squash
Salt and Pepper
Method for Squash and Chicken Tray Bake
- Preheat the over to 180 degrees
- Clean the squash. Don’t bother peeling it.
- Cut the squash in half
- Take out all of the seeds of the squash
- Cut the bigger squash into quarters, but leave the smaller squash in half
- Add the chicken thighs to the dish along with the cleaned squash
- Sprinkle with olive oil, basil, salt and pepper.
- Add to the oven for about 30/40 minutes. Keep checking the squash though as you don’t want it to burn.
Dinner is served! This Squash and Chicken Tray Bake is such an easy and healthy meal to prepare and whats better is it looks amazing.
Let me know in the comments if you have tried my easy autumnal squash and chicken tray bake recipe.